image >>
Australian Marine Conservation Society (then the Queensland Littoral Society). Circa 1970s.



Ampol (Australian Motorists Petrol Company) is a chain of service stations first incorporated in 1936 in NSW. Ampol merged with Caltex to make Australian Petroleum PTY LTD which in 1997 became Caltex Australia Ltd.

Ampol, was incorporated by Sir William Gaston Walkley in 1936 in New South Wales. This was in response to Australians' concerns about perceived inequitable petrol pricing, and allegations of transfer pricing by foreign oil companies to limit their tax liabilities in Australia.

1965 saw the Lytton oil refinery in Brisbane, Queensland come on stream. Pioneer International Limited purchased a 20% stake in Ampol in 1979. In 1982, Ampol purchased the marketing and refining assets of Total Australia Limited and changed its name to Ampol Limited.

In May 1995, Caltex and Ampol merged petroleum refining and marketing assets to form Australian Petroleum Pty Ltd which, in 1997, became Caltex Australia Ltd. The Ampol brand remains in use to this day, primarily in country areas where customer loyalty and strong brand-recognition are factors.

Read more>>